Sixth Form and Remove Volunteering in the Community
We encourage all Westminsters to find an opportunity to Volunteer in the Community as part of their Sixth Form experience.
- The ‘Volunteering in the Community’ Option allows many Sixth Formers the opportunity to participate within the framework of the academic timetable. Many take special courses to equip them properly for their chosen project:
• Pupils learn British Sign Language in preparation for work in the classroom at the Frank Barnes School on Thursday afternoons;
• receive accredited TEFL training (from 2010)in order to mentor children with little or no English in the local community;
• work with professional fundraisers from the Depaul Trust to design and deliver new multi-media fundraising material.
Many pupils go out on placement for their Option. Projects include:
• managing a rock band at a local primary school;
• working with AgeUk to help elderly people come to terms with computers;
• helping at a local community centre.
- On Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, projects run either alongside or instead of a pupil’s normal sporting commitment. Sixth Formers:
• join the volunteering body at local hospitals, delivering patient questionnaires and supporting hospital staff;
• provide friendship at a local day-care centre for the elderly;
• work at local primary schools, either as classroom assistants or in after-school clubs.
• volunteer for Heath Hands, supporting the work of park rangers on Hampstead Heath.
- For those who wish to volunteer after school, projects include:
• supporting local youth clubs, including the Caxton Youth project;
• working with people with disabilities;
• supporting groups at a local community centre;
• volunteering for AgeUk.
- For annual projects: e.g. Phab and the Chelsea and Westminster Project, please follow the relevant links.
Sixth Formers at Westminster benefit immensely from their experiences in the Community. They enjoy their work, discover new personal strengths and form relationships that they might never have thought possible.